Friday, September 27, 2013


Three Year Professional Development Plan

Year One
Goal 1:  Become proficient in understanding school finance.
TEXES Competency and Domain: Domain III -Administrative Leadership: Competency 008: The superintendent knows how to apply principles of effective leadership and management in relation to district budgeting, personnel, resource utilization, financial management and technology applications.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  I would like to continue to grow in the area of school finance.  I did learn a lot in this program about finance, but I do not feel proficient in this area.  It is my understanding that school finance question are a part of most superintendent interviews and I want to be able to answer these with knowledge and experience.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  Texas School Finance Guide? and any other appropriate reading materials.  I would also like to attend a workshop for school finance people.
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Cheryl Hernandez, the business manager for PNGISD will continue to assist me in learning about school finance.
Date of Completion: 2014-2015 School Year
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  I will know that I have improved when I can explain school finance to someone who is not proficient. 

Goal 2:  Grow in my knowledge of the state legislature and how decisions they make effect our schools.
TEXES Competency and Domain:  Domain I - Leadership of the Educational Community: Competency 004: The superintendent knows how to respond to and influence the larger political, social, economic, legal and cultural context, including working with the board of trustees, to achieve the district’s educational vision.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  I want to improve my knowledge of how the legislature works in regards to educational decisions.  I was personally affected by a decision they made 3 summers ago in how I do business at the Alternative Education Center.  I did not see this coming and wish I could have been one that was able to speak out against what they did.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  TexasISD.com and other documents such as the Texas Association of Secondary School Principals publications.
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Dr. Rodney Cavness
Date of Completion: Ongoing
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  I will know that I have improved when I can anticipate the issues that the legislature is looking at and how I think they will make policies that affect our schools.

Goal 3:  Learn conversational Spanish.
TEXES Competency and Domain:  Domain I — Leadership of the Educational Community Competency 003: The superintendent knows how to communicate and collaborate with families and community members, respond to diverse community interests and needs and mobilize community resources to ensure educational success for all students.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  Finish all 5 levels of Rosetta Stone Spanish.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  Rosetta Stone Network Version at Alternative Education Center
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Dr. Mike Gonzales
Date of Completion: 2015
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  I will know that I have improved when I am able to assist the district in parent conferences, etc. with my grasp of the Spanish language.







Year Two
Goal 1:  Get a principal job
TEXES Competency and Domain: Domain II − Instructional Leadership: Competency 005: The superintendent knows how to facilitate the planning and implementation of strategic plans that enhance teaching and learning; ensure alignment among curriculum, curriculum resources and assessment; use the current accountability system; and promote the use of varied assessments to measure student performance.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  Continue to gain the knowledge and skills of a campus principal.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  I want to grow in the instructional leader role by attending workshops and conferences for principals and reading books written for instructional leaders.
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Kyle Hooper, Principal of Port Neches Middle School; Marc Keith, Principal of Port Neches-Groves High School; Amy Gil, Principal of Port Neches Elementary School
Date of Completion: 2015
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  I will hopefully obtain the job of a campus principal by 2015.


Goal 2:  Become more familiar with the state and district curriculum.
TEXES Competency and Domain:  Domain II − Instructional Leadership: Competency 005: The superintendent knows how to facilitate the planning and implementation of strategic plans that enhance teaching and learning; ensure alignment among curriculum, curriculum resources and assessment; use the current accountability system; and promote the use of varied assessments to measure student performance.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  I want to know the overall scope and sequence of the state curriculum and participate in district curriculum decisions.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  Region 5 curriculum workshops, Texas curriculum guides, and district training.
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Dr. Brenda Duhon, Assistant Superintendent of PNGISD
Date of Completion: 2014-2015
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  When I am able to participate in district curriculum development.



Year Three
Goal 1:  Develop a working relationship with the board of trustees for Port Neches-Groves Independent School District.
TEXES Competency and Domain: Domain III — Administrative Leadership: Competency 010: The superintendent knows how to apply organizational, decision-making and problem-solving skills to comply with federal and state requirements and facilitate positive change in varied contexts.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  Work with the board of trustees to accomplish goals for our district.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  Region 5 Service Center team building workshops with the board.
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Dr. Rodney Cavness, Dr. Mike Gonzales, Dr. Brenda Duhon, Cheryl Hernandez
Date of Completion: 2015-2016
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  I will know that I have worked toward accomplishing this goal in my knowledge of the board on a personal and professional level.

Goal 2:  Get involved with the community outside of the school.
TEXES Competency and Domain:  Domain I — Leadership of the Educational Community: Competency 003: The superintendent knows how to communicate and collaborate with families and community members, respond to diverse community interests and needs and mobilize community resources to ensure educational success for all students.
Objective (What do you want to improve?):  Learn to look beyond the school district personnel and also involve the community members in organizational decisions.
Course Work/Book/Workshops (How do you want to improve?):  Dr. Sandra Harris, Lessons from the field?
Mentor/Professional Support (Who will help you improve?):  Dr. Rodney Cavness, Dr. Mike Gonzales, Dr. Sandra Harris, Port Neches-Groves Chamber of Commerce
Date of Completion: 2014-2015
Evaluations (How will you know you have improved?):  I will know that I’ve improved by being involved in civic organizations in the community, such as the Rotary Club and have community members on the site-based teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment