Friday, August 30, 2013


Week One Assignment, Part 2

Career Position and Leadership Goals Statement

Position Goal

            The next position that I would like to be in is a campus principal.  I have taught for 7 years, been an assistant principal for 4 years, and been the director of the alternative school for 4 years.  I believe that all of these positions have led me to become a campus principal.  The ultimate goal in completing this program and the doctoral program is to one day be a superintendent.  I will have the qualifications at the conclusion of this program; however, I know that I first need to prove myself on the campus level in a principal role. 

Leadership Goal

            I want to lead because I still believe that I can make a difference.  I was very worried about leaving the classroom because I didn’t think I could still have an impact on kids the same way I did as when I was a teacher, but I soon learned that I can still have an impact just in a different way.  I always say that I want to remain in a position long enough to make an impact and try to leave the position better than when I got it.  I felt like I had some success in the classroom that prepared me to leave it for an administrator’s job.  Being an assistant principal was very tough on me, but after learning the job I felt like I had gotten to a point where I was comfortable in the job and was ready to move on.  As the alternative school director I have been able to make some changes and start some programs that benefit the kids.  Now that I have had some success in the position, I feel like I am ready to move on if the opportunity presents itself. 

            The educational need that underlies my motivation to be a leader is the willingness and desire to be a lifelong learner.  In some form or fashion, I’ve been in school for 24 years.  I am currently working on my doctorate which has been the most difficult of the schooling, but I am already thinking about what I can do next to continue the learning process.  I was working on learning Spanish before I started the program so I think I will try again afterwards.  The personnel need that drives me is the need to provide a good education for my kids.  I know that they will benefit from me staying in school and different positions will be able to put me in a place where I can provide for them financially.  During my internship I learned quite a bit by talking to the experts in the field.  It has been great for me to learn from other educators who have already gone through the positions that I am aspiring to be in.

No comments:

Post a Comment