Thursday, August 29, 2013


Self-Assessment Reflection for Blog
         I have definitely learned a lot in this program about being a superintendent; however, I believe that true learning comes from doing which is why I still listed many of the areas as competency, not strengths.  The area where I feel the most strength is in area 1.  I have been in leadership positions for a while and understand the importance of being an ethical leader.  Most of the other areas were ones in which I considered myself as competent.  This program has taught me the fundamentals in these areas, but I still lack the experience.  For example, I know what the superintendent’s role is in regards to the board of trustees, but since I have never been a superintendent it is hard to say that I have experience there.   The area which I would list where I need the most improvement is in area 8.  I learned a lot about budget through this program and in working with my district’s financial officer, but once again I need more experience there before I feel comfortable calling it a strength. 

1 comment:

  1. Scott - I have noticed that many of the reflections have focused on Competency 8. I mentioned in my response to Jody that it was an area that aspiring superintendents have said causes problems. In fact, I remember a story about a superintendent (who works for a respectable district) talked about his first interview coming to an abrupt end because he did not have a good handle on budget and finance. Good luck in your future especially in this area. With your philosophy of learning coming from doing, I hope you have lots of experiences to help you grow in this area.
    Thanks.
    jeff

    ReplyDelete