Thursday, May 9, 2013


Reflection of School Finance

           I learned quite a bit in this course about school finance.  Though I haven’t exactly mastered the template, I got better at applying it.  The concept of overall finance and the differences between schools is what I’d say I learned the most.  I really liked when we had to compare two completely different districts and their financial situations.  This gave me a good indicator of what other districts face.  I am in a chapter 41 property rich district, so our biggest issue is sending recapture money back to the state, the Robin Hood plan.  Our tax payers are upset that their tax dollars are funding other school districts.  When I look at others; however, I can see their side of the issue.  Some districts need more money due to equity issues.  These lessons have definitely opened up my eyes on school finance.  I hope to continue to gain knowledge in this area, but I also hope to be a superintendent one day in a district like ours that has a business manager who takes care of most budget issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment